Introduction

Introduction

Colaiste Iosagain Portarlington is a Catholic voluntary secondary school and is guided by the ethos of the Christian Brothers and Presentation Sisters.  The characteristic spirit of the school is based on a Christian education in a Catholic tradition.  Colaiste Iosagain promotes the development of a community of faith inspired by gospel values.  The community of the school works in a holistic manner to ensure that dependence is gradually replaced by responsibility for oneself, society and the world.  The dignity of each student, staff member and parent is reflected in school policies and structures.  While educational excellence is promoted, it is the needs of the learner that direct the development of the school.  The school promotes a spirit of service and care.

Teachers

The Principal and Board of Management support individual classroom teachers in their efforts to create a positive teaching and learning environment in the school.  Teachers use their experience and professional judgement to adapt and modify the content of lessons and the methods of instruction to suit the needs of students.

Partnership

The school through information sessions and meetings with parents seeks to promote a patnership between home and school and to facilitate the transition of students from primary to secondary school.  The academic needs of students are assessed and where learning support is needed every effort is made to provide it .


School History

The first convent primary school opened on 16th October 1854 with six students. There were classes in catechism for boys and girls in the evenings. The first primary school was officially opened in 1856 with 100 students. In 1862, 1868 and 1906 extensions were added. There was growth towards second level education from 1859 onwards. In 1916 there was a large centre for the King’s Scholarship Exam at Easter with 80 candidates. The secondary top grew significantly from 1939 onwards. In 1962 a new section was added to the Primary school, across the road from the main building. In the late 1960’s many pre-fabs were added to the secondary school. Work began towards the building of a new secondary school in 1977. The first Board of Management to Scoil Mhuire was appointed in 1987.

In the late 1990’s an amalgamation was agreed between Scoil Mhuire and the Christian Brothers Secondary School. Coláiste Íosagáin, under joint trusteeship of the Presentation Sisters and the Christian Brothers was opened on 1st August 2001 under the principal-ship of Seamus Bennett. In 2006 the Presentation Sisters became the sole trustee by agreement with the Christian Brothers.

In 2001, St. John’s vocational school closed and the students transferred to Coláiste Íosagáin. This is now the only second-level school in the catchment area. Coláiste Íosagáin is now under the trusteeship of CEIST.